What is hair transplant in Chicago
Created as the solution to hair loss, hair graft in Dallas was originated, being an operation in which the hair follicles are extracted from a donor zone, this being an area of constant growth, and are transported to an area that suffer from baldness or recetor zone. One of the many benefits found in this surgery is it’s lack of major risks, this representing a simple, painless and effective way to solve alopecia or lack of sensity. Besides, this is an outpatient procedure, when hospitalization is not necessary, and the patient can quickly return to their day to day.
Hair graft surgery is destined for those people who have becomed victims of alopecia, alopecia being the loss of hair in patches and patterns or general density. This is not only possible on the scalp, which is the zone where the intervention is done the most, but also in places like the beard, eyebrows, eyelashes or any other bodypart, and can appear due to scars that the person has, or due to the many types of alopecia, which can be divided in the next:
- Androgenic alopecia: This being the most seen type of alopecia, specially in men, and it is generated due to a hereditary factor, where the person is much more susceptible to this affliction and having family members with it too. Androgenic alopecia involves a rise in the production of masculine hormones, which cause and promote said hairloss. It is characterized by attacking the density of the hair in general, withouth showing specific patches on the scalp. However, men can show an “M” shape on the hair inlets. In women, the hair usually falls mainly on the central part of the head.
- Alopecia areata: Also being one of the most common types of alopecia, the alopecia areata is the consequence in most cases of stress, not showing a hereditary factor. The hair follicles are affected by the person’s stress, falling out of the scalp and making it difficult to generate new hairs. However, stress is not the only cause, as it can also come up due to diseases like lupus, type 1 diabetes, thyroids and other autoimmune diseases.
Besides this pair, we can also name other types of alopecia, like:
- Difuse alopecia: Just like androgenic alopecia, difuse alopecia or telogenic effluvium distinguishes itself by diminishing density in the hair without any kind of pattern. It affects the health of the person’s head, as it is no longer strong and resistent as it should, being this time weak and thin, making it break and fall off easily, and after it does not grow back.
- Scarring alopecia: Being a more paintul type of alopecia, scarring alopecia is the replacement of the scalp by scarring tissue, showing inflammation, reddening, scaling and buring.
- Alopeia by traction: It’s biggest difference among the others is that this one is originated by the person’s habits and not by external factors. When styling the hair in too tense hairstyles that stretch the hair back, and keeping it like that constantly, gives as a result hair that breaks off die to the tension and the person losing more hair that they should.
Besides, it must be noted that alopecia is given a term depending on the type of area it affects, beign alopecia totalis, the most known since it’s the one that appears on the head; alopecia universalis where all of the body suffers from hair loss; or alopecia barbae, where baldness or patches are found in a person’s beard.
Baldness is an affliction extremely common in the american population. At least 5 out of 10 men suffer from it, if we tale men younger than 30; when the age increases, the number goes up to 8 out of 10 men. Women, even if they are not as susceptible to this condition, are not left behind, as 40% of women can also develop any of the types of alopecia mentioned before
Alopecia can come up due many other causes, not only due to heritage, stress or diseases, as are:
- Excess of grease in the hair: Greasy hair that is nor adequately controled can result in the acceleration of hair loss. This is why it is recommended that the person constantly brushes the hair to distribute the grease among it, all along to the tips.
- Poor nutrition: The hair is made of proteins, and it needs these and vitamins to keep itself healthy and resistant. When the person does not consume the necessary nutrients, the hair turns weak and breakable, falling in bigger quantities.
- Inadequate styling: In this aspect we can name the excessive use of hats and caps, in this the grease is trapped in the hair as we named before. Hairstyles also go in this category, as they cause alopecia by traction. We can also find blame on the heat of hair dryes and straighteners, and dyes and other products that weaken the hair and affect it’s health.
The prevention of baldness is an important point before considering hair grafts in Chicago, as the reduction of stress must be noted, just as having the correct diet with the adequate vitamins like B3 and B12, and, of course, brush the hair constantly, involving only the products that are not harmful to it.
Once the correct habits have been adquired in the maintenance of the hair, and alopecia of any kind is still generated, and having discarted the use of creams and lotions that promote the hair growth, it’s time to consider hair transplant in Chicago, as it guarantees results in a nig majority of the cases treated.
What are the techniques used for hair grafts in Chicago
Just like there are many existing types of alopecia, which distinguish themseves feom one another in their appareance and characteristics, there are more than one technique for hair grafts in Chicago. In general, this operation requires a minimal intervention and minor scars, exchanging the hair follicles that do not show growth, with those in the donor zone that still allow the hair to grow naturally. The existing technique that can be offered are:
- FUT Technique: It carries the name of strand technoque, as it starts by making an incision in the donor zone, which, in most cases, is the nape of the neck or back part of the head. Through this incision, a strand is extracted from the scalp, which holds the follicular units to be used. Once taken out, the wound is stitched and the surgeon will proceed to divide each one into the unirs, these holding one or two hairs. Like this, the insertion in the receptor zone is easier, placing the hairs wherever necessary, resulting in more density and erasing of patches, leaving only an almost invisible and not uncomfortable scar.
- FUE Technique: FUE meaning Follicular Unit Extraction,, it can be distinguised from the FUT technique because the separation of the units does not pccue, as these are extracted from the beginning one by one, and not as a group as it happens in the strand technique. Likewise, as they are extracted with tiny incisions, they are inserted in the receptor zone. Another characteristic of the FUE technique is that the area must be shaved before starting the procedure, but it does not leave any visible scar.
- DHI technique: This technique involves, as it’s name indicates, a Direct Hair Implantation. This means that the follicles, just like in the FUE technique, are extracted one by one. It is characterized by the use of an Implanter, machine that resembles a pen, which makes a group of incisions for the hair grafts to be inserted. With this technique more control is guaranteed in the position of the follicular units, and also the direction and angle desired, mentioning also that the grafts are rapidly inserted and do not spend much time outside of the scalp, which allows them to hold more strenght and resistence from the beginning. Another difference between the DHI and the FUE techniques is that with this one it is not necessary to shave the zone.
It depends on the surgeon and their research on the person’s health and specific case to decide which technique is more beneficial, selecting the one that involves a better result at the end of he operation.
Who can participate in a hair graft in Chicago
Knowing that alopecia is a common affliction in the country, the people that can benefit from hair grafts in Chicago might be many. However, it is important that they meet the requirements to be able to participate in one, both men and women. This is known as an ideal profile for a patient, and can involve the next points:
- Any possible patient must suffer from any type of alopecia or have hair loss in any bodypart they wish to treat.
- The patient cannot have a different option from hair grafts, like creams or lorions, that can solve the problem without a transplant. To this we can also add the eliminarion of the cause, like stress or poor nutrition, before considering micro grafts, because if the origen of the alopecia is not solved, hair loss may continue even after tje transplant.
- Even if it is not a mandatory requirement, it is recommended that the patient falls in the ideal age range, between 25 and 45 years old, in a way that the alopecia is defined enough, which usually does not occur in younger people, and is enough to reach the desired density, which might be difficult in older patients. In both, being too young or too old, the patient may end up needing another intervention later on in their lives.
- The patient’s health must be optimal for the surgery and postoperative stage, this means that they cannot have heart diseases or diabeter or similar conditions, as the first one can cause complications with the anestesia, and the second can cause more bleeding that it should, even if the bleeding is already in a minor scale, the surgery still involves it. This is why the person must be healthy for them to not affect the hair grafts in Chicago, during or after it.
Gathering these characteristics, the ideal profile for a patient is a man with an average age of 30 years old, with alopecia in any part of their body, whose best or only option is hair grafts, and that does not suffer from any disease that can harm the procedure. Like this, if the patient falls into the profile or close to it, they can continue with the procedure, arriving to the preoperative stage.
Before hair grafts in Chicago
One the patient has met with the surgeon to start the preparations for the hair grafts, the patient will find themselves in the preoperative stage of the surgery, an important part for tue patient to keep an optimal stare and guaantee a successful operation, which happens in any kind of surgical procedure. In this process not only is the surgeon involved, but also tricologist which are the expert on the scalp, dermatologists to examine the patient’s skin, and anesthesiologists to administer the local alopecia used before the incision or Incisions. In the case of the hair transplant, the preoperative can last up to two weeks and it can be done like this:
- The first step is to verify that the patient is in optimal health. A series of examinations will be done to ensure the health of the patient and it’s scalp. Between these we can find a tricoscopy, an essential part of the alopecia’s diagnosis, involving the analysis of the hair under a device that allows the specialist to obtain the necessary information on the state of the scalp. For this previous preparations are not required, and it is done “dry”, holding the device directly on the hair, or using a gel or special loquid to help the analysis. Another way of analysing a patient’s hair is with a tricogram, where, thiw time, it would be necessary to take a sample, differently from the tricoscopy where there is no need for removing a strand. With this strand, the specialist will hold it under a microscope, paying close attention to the shape and integrity of it. Sometime it is only necessary to cut the hairs, while in others, where the root is also needed, the strand must be removed carefully. Besides these, the surgeon may also request for a blood analysis to control the levels of glucose, sodium and potassium, along with hepititis and AIDS tests, and in general the bleeding that can be produced during this surgery; and finally the clinical history of the patient.
- The patient must suspend any medicine they may be consuming as a treatment, specially Minoxidil, and other like anticoagulants, antiinflammatory pills or vitamin supplements, as all of them can affect the blood flow, dilute it or stop the pass of nutrients to the scalp, and could lead to excessive bleeding during the operation. Likewise, they must have to stop consuming alcoholic beverages and smoking habits at least a day before the intervention. It is also recommended that the patient does not cut their hair in any way before the day of the surgery.
- The day of the surgery, the last steps of the preoperative involve the use of the blood extracted from the patient beforehand, which went through a spin process to separare the rich plasma in platelets, and inject this in the scalp, which will allow the new hairs to adapt in their position. Next, the surgeon will mark the desired shape of the hair, specially designing the hair inlets, and select both the donor and receptor zones. Lastly, the anestesia will be administered in the area, being the local type, as the patient will remain awake for the entirety of the procedure. In a few cases general anestesia is used, being the times when te patient is too nervous and can compromise the treatment.
After hair grafts in Chicago
As it is known, the hair grafts is an outpatient operation where the patient will not recieve hospitalization and can return home the same day after ending the surgery. With this, the postoperative process begins, which is an important part that will determine the result of the hair grafts in Chicago. It is important that the person follows the recomendarions to take care of their health and the state of the area treated. The evolution of the postoperative stage would be something like this:
- First days: The scalp or the area treated will be inflammed and be a little uncomfortable. The patient will need to avoid touching the area or brush it with any object, and will have to keep their head elevated, specially when they sleep, so the anestesia can be effective during the first night. On the second or third day the patient will have to return for a revision, where tje bandages placed after the intervention will be removed, and the hair will be washed for the first time.
- First weeks: Scabs may appear on the area due to the incisions, which will last a couple of weeks until they fall by their own, which is why it is not a big worry, and the patient may also feel a slight itch on the scalp. Starting after the first week, the patient will be able to go back to their usual activities like working and return to their daily rutine.
- First months: At this point, the hair will begin to grow naturally, increasing the density of the hair little by little. However, it is not until the fourth month when the hairs start growing stronger and more resistent, like the final result.
As time passes, the patient will be able to gain the right to cut their hair again, consuming alcohol and medicines like the ones named before. Like this, there is only left to wait for the results of the hair graft in Chicago to show.
When do the result for hair graft in Chicago appear
Something to note with the hair graft in Chicago is that the results are not easy to get or immediate right after the surgery. This happens because the hair goes through the cicle of growth and fall for te hairs to get stronger every time and more like the ones on the donor zone. This way it is more resistent to falling. The patient will have to wait between 11 months to a year to get the definitive and desired result.
Despite the wait, the hair transplant in Chicago is an operarion that gives effective and natural results to the scalp or any area that was treated. This is why it works as an ideal solution for alopecia and baldness in general.
Risks of hair graft in Chicago
Even if many other cosmetic surgeries involve bigger risks than a hair graft surgery, the few complications that might happen in this type of operation should not be ignored, although the risks are not as worrisome. Among these risks that can occur are:
- Bad scarring: Scarring is an important step to heal a wound, and if complications appear in it, it may cause the scar to be more obvious than necessary. It can usually happen during the strand or FUT technique, as it is the one with a bigger and extensive wound; with the FUE and DHI techniques, this is not as likey and only scabs may appear.
- Infections: Involving that same incision, like in every other surgery, there is a slight chance of an infection, which can complicate the postoperative stage, having to focus on this complication to treat it and avoid it worsening, making the person spend more time in healing completely.
- Loss of sensitivity: To extract the hair follicles, the nerves of the scalp or any other bodypart are involved. This gives room for a loss of sensitivity that some patients might feel. For most of they, this is temporary, but in some cases it may be permanent or more difficult to recover feom, and it’s here it turn into a bigger risk. However, it is not as likely to happen.
- Facial edema: Also being a temporary complication, facial edema come up as swelling on the face due to the physiological serum injected to sustitute lost blood. This, even if possible and low risk, it almost does not appear.
Important points about hair graft in Chicago
- Hair graft surgery is a simple operation with low risks and easy to recover from. However, some factors can occur that complicate it. Like this, we can name the fact that there are people that suffer from complete baldness, meaning the area is completely be, and it does not have a donor zone, which can be solved by taking follicular units from a different bodypart, be it the arms, chest and even the pubic area.
- Straight hair can be beneficial in some cases, like it is when using the DHI technique, where they can be inserted easier. Even with this, curly hair gives a better result, specially if besides curly it is dark and thick, which gives the impression of more density than light and thin hair.
- There is no possibility that the hair falls again after a successful hair graft in Chicago, due to the hair follicles are replaced, and instead of them there are new ones that will grow permanently and will be more resistent to the hormones that promote it’s fall.