What is hair transplant in New York
Among the many cosmetic surgeries, hair graft in New York distinguish itself as the procedure destined to treat hair loss. It is the extraction of hair follicles in a healthy zone that will be on constant growth, to an area in need that shows baldness or lack of density. Hair transplants hold an almost painless and efective way to treat baldness, and is also an latory process, it does not require hospitalization and it’s easy gor the patient to return to their day to day.
Hair graft is an ideal surgery for those people who suffer feom hair loss or those who do not have their desire hair density, which is usually presented in the head, but can also be needed in many other parts of the body, being done on the beard, eyelashes, eyebrows and body. Said hair loss can be caused by a scar made beforehand, or by the condition known as alopecia. Alopecia can come in many types, some being elegible for a hair transplant. Between these types we have the ones that depend on the cause, like:
- Androgenic alopecia: This is the most common kind of alopecia, representing most cases in both men and women younger than 30 and in older people. It is mainly due to the excess of male hormones called androgenic hormones, which promote hair loss. In men, who are it’s main victim, can be shown mayor loss in the frontal part of the hair, and a slow decay in the general density of the hair. Women can be affected by this type of alopecia too, usually showing less density, and losing hair first in the central part of the head and not in the hair inlets.
- Alopecia areata: Also being very commun, but not as much as the androgenic type, this kind of alopecia comes up mainly because of stress, affecting the hair follicles and making them fall and not grow back. It can also occur due to autoimmune diseases like lupus, type 1 diabetes and thyroids.
Besides these, we can also name other types of alopecia, like:
- Difuse alopecia: Under the name of telogenic effluvium, it distinguishes itself among the others by not having any specific pattern, as it only attacks the density of the hair and it’s health, in a way that the hair turns weak and thin, with no strength to hold, so it falls around the scalp withouth showing any patches, and once it falls it does not grow back.
- Scarring alopecia: The consequences of this type of alopecia are greater, and lore painful, as the scalp is replaced with scarring tissue, presenting inflammation, reddening and scaling.
- Alopecia by traction: It is cause not by genetics or the physical or mental state of the person, but the habits that they may have of using hairstyles with too much tension that pull at the hair for long periods of time, so the hair, when presented with this much tension, cannot resist and it escapes the scalp.
The types of alopecia can also be determined by the areas it affects, in example we have alopecia totalis, which only affects the head and it is the most known one; alopecia universalis, where the hair is lost in all the body and not just in a specific prt; and alopecia barbae, which is presented as bald patches or lack of hair in the beard.
In women, alopecia can appear due to a couple of reasons:
- Pregnancy: Even when, during pregnancy, hormones that promote hair growth are abundant, once the woman reaches the post-partum phase, this hormones significantly decrease, and the scalp is weakened. Alopecia after pregnancy is very common and is seen in a big part of women that have given birth.
- Menopause: During this stage, the hair’s life cycle becomes shorter, anf the organism starts releasing bigger quantities of masculine hormones, known as androgenic hormones, which greatly influence in the loss of hair.
In men, alopecia is much more common than in women, and is mainly generated by the genetic predisposition they may have. If a man has a direct relative that suffers from baldness, in most cases he will eventually develop it too when he reaches a certain age. Besides, they show large amounts of androgenic hormones which can increase or accelerate the loss.
In the United States, millions of people suffer from alopecia, 6.8 million of them having alopecia areata alone. The causes that may result in any of the types of alopecia named before, besides hormonal problems, stress or diseases, we can also name de excess of fat in the hair follicles, which helps with hair loss; there also exists poor nutrition, as the hair needs the required vitamins and proteins to stay healthy, and without them, the hair would turn weak and easily breakable. Alopecia can also appear due to the excessive use of hats and other accessories, by the hairstyles we named before, or the use of hair dyes and other harmful products for the hair. In the styling of the hair, there are more activities that can compromise it’s health, as administering excessive heat with the use of hair dryers and straighteners, as it can affect the hair’s health on the long run.
If a person wishes to prevent hair loss or hopes to stop the effects of baldness due to these reasons, they must need to consume the right meals, with enough proteins and vitamins like B3 and B12; reducing stress as much as possible, be it searching for professional helps or involving themselves in calming activities; and maintaining the correct care of the hair using only the product beneficial for it.
However, alopecia cannot always be prevented or completely stopped, specially if it surges by any of the reasons outside of the person’s control, be it because of genetics, diseases or treatments like quemotherapy or radiotherapy. When it appears, there are options as creams and lotions that stimulate hair growth, and if they don’t work the most trustworthy technique to get the desired resulta is hair grafts in New York.
Which are the techniques used of hair grafts in New York
Depending on the type of alopecia diagnosed, the surgeon will proceed to choose between two kinds of procedures, the one that represents the best result for the patient. A hair transplant in New York can last between 6 to 10 hours, turning it into a relatively lengthy surgery, also based on the type of intervention. The existent hair graft techniques are:
- FUT technique: Referred to as the strip technique, involves the extraction of a part of the donor area. It is appropriate for any area and kind or severity of alopecia. This strip is removed for the donor area, which is usually the back part of the head, and is stitched in a way so the scar is imperceptible. Dividing the strip into follicular units, two or three hairs will be in every unit, to then transplant these to the area in need through tiny incisions, positioning them depending on the natural direction and density of the hair. The treated zones will be bandaged for at least two days. This technique reaches a natural result perfect for most cases of baldness, by also hacing the advantage that there is no need of shaving the hair before thr procedure.
- FUE technique: With the name of Follicular Unit Extraction, it differentiates from the previous technique in the way the follicles are extracted. If in the FUT technique an entire strip is taken out of the scalp, in this instance the follicles are removed individually, with an average size of 0.8 millimeters. This way of making incisions is called micropunch. The donor zone constitutes the area in which the hair will keep growin uninterrupted, and it is shaved before extracting the follicles, the area treated being the one with difficulties in this sense. The follicular units are placed hair by hair in their new optimal positions, usually the frontal or side part of the head, the most visible areas, and in less quantities in the least visible places.
- DHI technique: Finally, there is the Direct Hair Implantation technique, where the follicles are also extracted one by one, and this time the surgeon uses a small tool known as the Implanter, with which they make these small incisions. This technique is considered more advanced as it possesses more control in the direction, angle and deepness of the grafts once places in the receptor zone. Besides, the follicular units last fewer time out of the scalp, which helps them maintain more strenght than those that lasg longer, and it is not necessary to shave the hair before extracting and planting them.
At the end of a hair graft surgery, the area treated will be bandaged, and because it is an outpatient procedure, the patient will be able to return home the same day.
Who can undergo a hair graft in New York
The ideal patient in the cases of hair transplants are those that have been affected by the cause of baldness named previously and suffer from any type of alopecia. That us why it is recommended to people whose hair is beginning to fall or is already in the middle of advanced balding. Besides, there is a list of requirements gor any possible patient that, even if they are ot necessarily rules, if the person falls within this profile, the result for their situation will be improved. Said requirements are:
- Age: The ideal age range is between 30 and 45 years old, because before turning 30 it is possible that the alopecia is still not completely defined, and those younger patients might have to undergo another surgery years later. For people older than 45 years old, it will be harder for them to recover the hair density even after the hair transplant.
- Abundant donor area: For the receiving area to get a fair quantity of hair follicles, the donor area must be enough to hold the grafts and also grow again by itself after the operation. Without this donation, there is no way for the person to give the necessary hairs to the balding parts of the scalp, which stands between a successful result.
- Good health: For any kind of surgical procedure, it is necessary that the patient has an optimal health, or at least do not suffer from any diseases that can compromise the procedure, or cause adverse reactions to the anestesia or are more vulnerable to bad scarring or infections.
- No diseases: If the possible patient has alopecia due to skin diseases or the types of alopecia caused by strees like the areata or other psychological problens like trichotillomania, it is possible that a hair transplant is not the best option, and that they should treat the primordial causes of the baldness, with adequate treatments for their ailments.
Before hair grafts in New York
Come the time in which the type has been diagnosed and the patient is confirmed able to participate in hair grafts in New York, the next step is to start the post-operatice, where the surgeon will give all the information and guidance for the fulfillment of the rules previous to a hair transplant, which will guarantee the best result possible. This includes several tests and hair exams. Among said tests we have a tricoscopy, which helps the diagnosis and allows for a better view at the health of the scalp, using a device placed upon it be it with a liquid or det, examining the general state of the affected and healthy parts of the patient’s scalp. Another version of this procedure is the tricogram, where it is necessary to extract a strand of hair to examine it separetly under a microscope, obtaining it bt either cutting the strand or carefully pulling it if the root is also needed. Besides these two, a blood analysis is also useful before a hair transplant, so the patient’s does not possess hepatitis or AIDS, and the bleeding during the operation is not an obstacle; besides of the clinical history and genetic background the patient might have, knowing that this is a big role in the appareance of alopecia specially in men.
After the examns, the patient must be notified of which will be the changes that they must take on their daily live before the operation, mentioning quitting the smoking habit if they are a smoker for at least a week after the hair grafts in New York, just like the suspension of the use of gels pr any hair product besides of the usual in the wash of the hair. It is also important to note that the person must knownparicipate in exhaustive exercises like cardio, and that it is better to replace them with massages in the area to be treated so it is stimulated with vertical and horizontal moves. The day of the surgery the patient must assist on an empty stomach, without consuming any kind of food or drink, and their last mesl must have been light and easy to digest, this making the intervention much safer to the patient.
In general, it is intended that the patient and it’s scalp are in optimal conditions that diminish the posibilities of any complication, and it guarantees that the procedure is comfortable with the best results once it is over.
After hair drafts in New York
One the transplant is over, the area will be bandage and the patient usually will be able to go home that same day, starting the post-operatice stage, where the evolution of the hair grafts in New York will be observed to make sure it bas a satisfactory result. On the second day the pacient will have to return for a revision, where the bandages will be removed and the hair washed in a way that stimulates the hair follicles and these adapt to their new positions. After that, the pacient still will not be able to participate in exercise, or take medicines like aspirines. Consuming alcoholic drinks is also prohibited. It is recomended that they keep their head elevated and do not touch the intervened area. Before reaching the two week mark it is important that the area does not come in contact with the sun, and before the first month after the hair transplant haircuts are not allowed.
Risks of hair grafts in New York
This surgery is of low risk in comparison with other surgeries, but just like these it has a few possible complications, even though they are of low severity. Among these risks are:
- Bad scarring: Specially likely in patients that are smokers, the scar that is made by extracting the donor area may look more visible and inflamed than it should, having in mind that the scar from a hair transplant is almost invisible.
- Infections: Because of this incision in the scalp, there is a small chance that this might get infected and must get treated immediately, hindering the postoperative. The probability of this happening increases if the patient does not maintain a good hygiene.
- Loss of sensitivity: Due to the fact that in this procedure the nerves of the scarring zone are involved, it can lead to a total loss of sensitivity in this part of the head, although it is very uncommon, as te majority of times it is temporary and the sensitivity will return after a couple of weeks.
- Facial edema: The least common out of all the risks mentioned, it represents four or five percent of all cases, being a swollen face due to the leak of physiological serum used to diminish the bleeding. It is not permanent and would probably disappear after a couple of days.
When are the results of hair grafts in New York appreciated
The results will not be immediate, as they must wait for the hair to continue their cycle of rest and growth, and this evolution is usually slow. A fewmonths must pass before the hair starts growing. Even when it is already in the growing phase, the new hairs are thinner and less visible that those in other areas, like the donor area, and as time passes this will turn thicker and adopt a natural look that goes with the rest of the person’s hair. To reach an appareance that satisfies the client, 11 months to a year must pass, after which the final result of hair grafts in Ottowa will be appreciated.
Important points about hair grafts in New York
- Results will be more visible and satisfactory in people with dark and thick hair, even more if they have curls. In people with thin and light hair, the procedure might not be as evident.
- Some times, to get a hair transplant, it is necessary that the patient fulfills the hair loss process, so younger people or those that are varely beginning to show hair loss must have to wait before starting the procedure.
- Is the area to be treated is concrete, it helps the transplant, and the opposite occurs ehen there is no specific focus and baldness is dispersed across the scalp.
- The patient must not sustain sexual intercourse for at least two weeks after the surgery.
- The option of getting hair grafts in Toronto must not be the first, and the person must make sure before that the kind of alopecia they suffer from cannot be corrected by any other means, like diminishing stress or fixing malnutrition.
The long-term intention of hair grafts in New York is to completely eliminate patches of baldness of lack of density that alopecia can cause in people, improving their appearances and increasing their self-esteem.